Wednesday, October 24, 2012

learning to count...again

Most parents try to help their children get a head-start, of sorts, on the basics...they teach them to recite the alphabet and are extremely proud to proclaim, "He can count to ten now."  I'll be honest; I did that, too.  At least until I became a teacher myself.  Then I learned the awful truth: "one, two, three, four," is worth nothing at all as mere words.  You must be able to associate a value with the 'word.'  Alas, let the 're-teaching' begin.

Recently, I have been learning to count all over again, associating value with each word.  It all started when I was reading what James had to say about difficult times and how, as God's children, we are to handle them.  Just about everyone is familiar with the opening remarks of his epistle..."My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience."  Now that's an eye-opening way to begin a letter!  But, we must remember the times that James lived in.  If you think Christians are hated around the world today, you are right...but when James was proclaiming his alliance with Christ, it was a death sentence.  It would have been much easier to throw up your hands and say, "this is SO NOT WORTH IT!" and go back to dancing in the groves with the pagans.  And there's the kicker...every one who knew Christ, walked with Him, talked with Him...knew that it WAS worth all the tribulation and fiery trials that came with the friendship.  WOW!  Pause and think of that...we are friends with God!

Let's face it: we're just not any good when it comes to trial and tribulation in our lives.  We'd much rather have a rosy morning when we wake up each day.  But, as Lynn Anderson sang, "I beg your pardon! I never promised you a rose garden!"  In fact, quite the opposite.  I seem to recall the time when Jesus issued a sincere warning, "These things I have spoken unto you, that in ME ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: BUT be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." (John 16:33) And we all know a little something about that tribulation He spoke of.  Often, our favorite response to trying situations (often beyond our control) is, "Why me?"  (By the way, if you've never watched "Last Holiday" with Queen Latifah, you should! Georgia Byrd knows something about, "Why me?")

Most likely, our response turns into a lament, "What am I doing wrong?"  The answer to that may be more apparent than you first thought.  Let's take another look at what James had to say, only this time, let's look at it from a different angle.  The Message Bible puts it this way:   (James 1:2-8)

"Consider it a sheer gift, friends, when tests and challenges come at you from all sides. You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colors. So don't try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you become mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way.
If you don't know what you're doing, pray to the Father. He loves to help. You'll get His help and not be condescended to when you ask for it. Ask boldly, believingly, without a second thought. People who "worry their prayers" are like wind-whipped waves. Don't think you're going to get anything from the Master that way, adrift at sea, keeping all your options open."

So, here I am, waking up every morning to so much pain that I wonder if I will be able to get out of bed at all.  One!  Thank you, dear Father, for such a comfortable bed to rest in.  Two!  Thank you for the promise that you'd never leave me or forsake me.  Three!  Thank you for teaching me that I must not 'forget to remember' those around me who are suffering.  Four!  Thank you for renewing my spirit, charging me with fresh physical strength, calm emotions, and a quiet heart!

Yes, I'm learning that everyone is going through something!  Everyone needs hope and reassurance in these troubling times.  I'm learning to count...to count on Jesus!

As Isaiah said, so very long ago," "Here am I; send me." (Is. 6:8) Or, as Doc Holiday might have said, "I'm your huckleberry!"  Yes, Lord, you can count on me.

2 comments:

  1. Good spiritual blog.
    I write and maintain a blog which I have entitled “Accordingtothebook” and I’d like to invite you to follow it.. I’m your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete