Friday, October 26, 2012

bring a torch

I really don't remember my maternal grandfather; he passed away when I was only four years old.  There remain a few pictures of him, but one of my favorites is the one where he is holding me on his lap and we are both laughing.  I don't recall the moment or what was so funny to us, but I like that we are happy.  As I got older, I would ask my mom about him.  Being his only child, she was absolutely the apple of his eye, and she enjoyed sharing her memories.  At one point, for no particular reason, she shared that his favorite Christmas carol was, "Bring a Torch, Jeanette Isabella."  Now granted, this is not a song that we hear very often.  Even if they are familiar with the title, most people couldn't tell you the first line.  In a nutshell, the little girl is told to bring a torch and to the stable swiftly run...to see the beautiful baby in the manger.

This French carol was written over four-hundred-fifty years ago, but I like it, probably because my grandfather liked it, but nevertheless.  Manheim Steamroller has produced a beautiful instrumental version, and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir presents a beautiful 'performance,' as well.  I digress.

For the time being, I am concentrating on the torch.  Torches were used for light.  The best way to illumine a stable (probably more of a cave) in those days was by the light of a torch.  Much more efficient than a small lantern, a torch could throw light into every nook.  And a little bit of light goes a long way to clarify things!

Steve and Annie Chapman performed her song, "The Secret Place," decades ago.  You might remember it:
"My heart is like a house; one day I let the Savior in. There are many rooms where we would visit now and then. But, then one day He saw that door; I knew the day had come to soon. I said, "Jesus, I'm not ready for us to visit in that room." But, He handed me the key, tears of love on His face. He said, "I want to make you clean; let me go in that secret place." So we opened up and door and the two of us walked in. I was so ashamed; His light revealed my hidden sin..." 

As you can imagine, there is a beautiful conclusion...only when there is enough LIGHT on the subject, can we truly see things as they are, including our own hearts.  We store up little hurts and injuries and shove them in the corners where we don't have to deal with them, but after all, the heart is not much different from any container; if it is being filled with one thing, there isn't much room for anything else.  Somewhere, sometime, we were sadly misinformed.  We somehow got the idea that everything was about us!  Jesus taught me many years ago that it wasn't about ME!  In fact, the only 'me' that I know of is in Messiah!  It's about Him!  Our lives present a wonderful opportunity for Him to live again.  His very nature becomes who we are.  (Note to self: it's time to re-read "New Creation Realities," by E.W. Kenyon.) Christ lived to die...for us.  He was resurrected from the grave to live again.  He rose to heaven to release His Spirit to find a permanent home in our hearts...it's all about Him.

Maybe it's time to bring a torch and run to our hearts and look in every corner.  Sweeping widely, allow the light to touch everything there.  Take a good look around.  Toss out everything that is contrary to Christ and His message.  That's the only way to make room for more of Him!  Take 'me' out of the center and put Him back on the throne.  Only then will there be enough light to shine on someone's darkest hour, bringing hope and the love of God that He "shed abroad in our hearts."

Bring a torch...and SHINE ON! 


No comments:

Post a Comment