Sunday, November 27, 2011

the other half

While I was studying at the university, I had reams of "required" course reading to do. Majoring in Education, there were all the volumes written by the so-called experts in the field regarding classroom techniques that should be mastered. After I became a teacher, I often wondered just exactly how much real time these people had spent in a classroom. But, that's a whole other story and I digress. My minor was in Social Science, so many hours were spent on classes in that field: Anthropology, Geography, History, Economics, Government, Philosophy, Sociology, etc., basically the study of "us."

During the semester that I was enrolled in my first Sociology course, the required reading was lighter than I expected, so I was able to really focus on the content. I don't remember whether I finished the list because I became enthralled with the first book mentioned, How the Other Half Lives by Jacob Riis.

Jacob Riis came to this country from Denmark when he was about twenty years of age. He lived in poverty, barely surviving, until he found work as a reporter for a New York newspaper about three years after his arrival. He possessed a knowledge of the poor that few in his new position had ever encountered and he was determined to use his writing skills to make people aware of the awful conditions endured by the poor in the city. He eventually became a photo journalist, and in fact, was one of the pioneers in the field of flash powder photography. This technique allowed him to photograph inside and outside of the slums at night.

In 1890, his book (How the Other Half Lives) was first published. With the startling account of the wretched conditions that thousands of impoverished citizens daily endured, documented with his amazing photography, a new awareness was reached. Social reform was finally underway. Many of the wealthy found his work very disagreeable, the slum lords in particular. For the next twenty-five years, Riis continued to write and lecture on the conditions of the poor. His work made a genuine difference in the way cities regard social issues of the poverty-stricken masses.

But, it's the title of his first book that has me thinking right now.

What I am really concerned about is how we treat "the other half" for the next few weeks. I'm not referring to just the poor among us. All of us, individually, through our churches or other charities, already do that. I am talking about the poor haggard sales people and food servers who do their best to take care of us while we are out-and-about, shopping, dining, partying. For example, I cannot believe that all the sales people who were stocking the shelves Thursday afternoon in preparation for the zero-hour that launched the shopping season, were there because they didn't want to spend time with their own family and friends. They were "there" because it was the shift they drew. Some retailers don't even allow time-off during the busy holiday season! SO, EVERYBODY PLAY NICE!!! Be patient while waiting in line. Be courteous to fellow bargain-hunters. Be cheerful to the checker. The mind-numbing beep,beep, beep of the scanner is torture enough. Think of others! And above all, SMILE!

Now, about those food servers. The same rules apply. These poor people are on their feet continuously. They don't need someone complaining to the management that they have been neglected or poorly served. And don't even suggest that they don't have to be there---that it's their own choice. In these desperate economic times, many people, even those with college degrees, have found themselves pursuing employment in a field other than their major. Hunger is a great motivator! It will get you up on your feet, searching relentlessly until you find a position, any position, that still involves honorable work. So, don't judge...EVER! Just be nice. It's easy, really. And when you have received the gift of good service, tip generously. Then, take the time to mention to the manager that your experience was a pleasant one.

This soapbox is for me, primarily, my dear friends. I point no fingers, make no accusations. I am speaking mostly to myself, but I have learned that what is on my mind is often good for others to consider, as well. Please do not be offended. Let's all just resolve to keep Christ in Christmas, evident by our behavior.

OH! I almost forgot: carry some crisp dollar bills with you, too. It's "Shiny Red Kettle" time.

No comments:

Post a Comment