Tuesday, November 22, 2011

and the race is on

It's no longer months or weeks, in just a day or two it begins...what is commonly called in this country, The Holiday Season. And then, the race is on.

Just as a warm-up exercise, we'll spend eighteen hours making a delicious meal of all our favorite foods. Amazing aromas will be wafting from the kitchen. Friends and family members will arrive. The house will be filled with noisy chatter, and then...we'll all sit down and EAT, eat, eat! Every year I say the same thing, "I just want a smidgen of everything. I won't sit here until I am stuffed and miserable. I'll stop before then." Yeah, well, I'll uhh, get back to you next week on that.

After that, we'll succumb to a semi coma stage, but that's not our fault! Blame that one on the turkey. It's all that tripta-whatever that makes us sleepy---overeating has nothing to do with it, thank you very much!

Then, the guys will watch football while the ladies get their game on, strategically planning for another hair-raising run at Black Friday sales. They will go to bed early or stay up very late, after all, some stores will open at midnight. When they finally arrive home again, after hours in the trenches, they will be laden with bags and bundles to prove that it was worth it. And anyway, all that money that they saved will buy a whole lot of Tylenol. It's all part of our passion for the holidays.

I love everything about the next few weeks. I have learned that I won't be able to accept every invitation, make every sale, visit every lighting display, attend every concert or play, but I do have a choice in what will bring me the most happiness and enjoyment. I will plan around those things. And I will enjoy every moment until this time rolls around again, or better yet, I'll just keep Thanksgiving and Christmas in my heart all year long. I'll make turkey (or maybe chicken) with dressing anytime I want it, I'll listen to beautiful Christmas music all year long, and I'll be merry and happy if I want to. I'll even have a Christmas tree up on March the twenty-fifth, if I want to. You see, I'm in charge of celebrations and I choose to celebrate with reckless abandon!

The fact that Jesus came to earth, for us, is stupendous, but that He came at all (He didn't have to) is absolutely amazing! The whole season may have turned too commercial for some, but that doesn't bother me. If it gives one soul reason to stop and think of Him---driving past a nativity scene on a church lawn, reading the message in a precious Christmas card, having the opportunity to give to others (SHINY, RED KETTLES!) then I am still glad for it.

I can't blame the merchants for trying to end a year of profit-loss with just one quarter in the black. And anyway, they hire seasonal help which is an answer to prayer for many people.

I have determined that the Holiday Season will always be exactly what I want it to be. I am in control. Not everything will work out as I initially planned---it never does---but that will not stop me from enjoying every moment. I plan to embrace the celebration of my Christ with renewed gusto and absolute contentment...content in the knowledge that if we think all this hoopla is something, just wait 'til you see how they celebrate in heaven!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment