Thursday, November 17, 2011

final curtain? who knows?

I took the scenic route to work on Monday. It takes a few minutes longer, but it keeps me off the busy interstate highway, away from the construction area and far from the already-running-behind drivers.

I chose that path because I have so thoroughly enjoyed the beautiful changes of the autumn season. Since we live in an 'older' neighborhood, our street has BIG trees...big trees with lots of leaves! Those leaves are stunning this year. In fact, I cannot remember a more vibrant Autumn. Perhaps it is to make up for the dreadfully long, hot summer that we just endured. No matter...it's here now, and oh! how marvelous it is.

So, I wondered if it was just around here or more widespread. I was not disappointed. My journey took me down streets ablaze with rich colors...yellow, orange, red and every shade in-between, all accented by the remaining green leaves. I was intoxicated with the magnificent scenery, so happy to be alive and well.

And then, I suddenly was aware of all the people who will miss this display. They never imagined that last November would be the final curtain of their Autumns. You see, this past year I lost a dear sister-in-law, an uncle and a cousin. They all died very suddenly, without warning. In addition to these, another cousin lost her daughter, and a precious friend lost her grown son...again, without warning.

Thinking about these dear ones made me realize how terribly important it is to enjoy every season of our lives. No matter what you are going through, life is still precious and good! Savor every moment. Don't miss the Autumn season while yearning for Spring.

God is still in control and He is still the host of the universe. He spreads an abundant table before us, every day, and bids us, "Come, dine with me."  It's a standing reservation with the best seat in the house. Today, it's my pleasure to stand at the door of this beautiful day and greet people, "Come in, welcome...ENJOY!"


No comments:

Post a Comment