Thursday, September 22, 2011

dropping calls

I've never been accused of being a people-pleaser. To the contrary, I'm a bit of a rebel at times! However, I am, most definitely, a people-watcher! I enjoy watching the people around me. In fact, if stranded in an airport, I'd probably be just fine...as long as there were other people to watch!!!

Lately, I've been watching people and their relationship to their cell phone. Sound a bit odd? Maybe so, but nevertheless, that's what I find myself doing A LOT lately.

I think it is quite peculiar that we can't buy our groceries anymore without a cell phone activated. I've overheard loud one-sided conversations that Maury would love to get hold of! Nothing is really private anymore, nothing seems to be sacred either. How sad! How strange and sad it is.

With all this technology though, there is still a major problem...we don't always have "bars" when we think we need them...we lose our connection...we drop the call. You should see some of the outbursts that I have seen when that happens! You'd think we'd just lost our dearest friend instead of cell-phone service.

And that got me to thinking...

I am an early riser. I enjoy watching the new dawn slip in; I like to be there to welcome the new day. I enjoy spending time in the garden during the hour or so before daybreak. That's often where my quiet-time begins for the day. I wouldn't trade those moments for all the stars in the sky. Jerry leaves me to my quietude and then eventually joins me...and so begins our day.

But, what happens after that? I have become keenly aware that throughout the day I seem to be dropping calls. Let me explain that a little better. We check our cell phones several times a day. We make sure that we aren't missing calls or text messages. We sneak a peek at work---some people have actually lost their jobs because of their inability to leave their cell phones alone while they are working. And we all know the danger caused by the careless drivers around us who choose to text and drive, etc., etc., etc.  We just can't stand it when we drop a call.

But, aren't we doing just that with our spiritual lives at times? We start the day "prayed up" and ready to tackle anything, but usually after only an hour or two, our zeal begins to fade. We aren't staying connected---we're dropping calls! The Holy Spirit urges us to come aside, for a minute or two; He has something He wants to discuss with us, but we're not in the zone anymore---we're dropping calls.

I wonder what would happen if we stayed as charged up spiritually as we keep our cell phones charged. What if there was as great a priority to recharge our spirits as there is to keep our phones charged and at-the-ready! And what if we actually took as much care with our praying as we did with our text messages to each other. I just wonder if it would make a difference. I believe it would.

I have challenged myself to take note of the way I handle my cell phone. I have asked the Lord to help me see what He sees whenever I check it. Missed call? No problem..."God bless my sweet friend and work mightily in their behalf. Give me the words to say when I call them back." Haven't received the call you were expecting? That's okay, too. "God, thank you for making me stop and check to see if there was any news. You know the situation. Bless my children."

The next time you're holding your cell phone, take a look at the contact list. Scroll down through it until your spirit flutters within you. Stop right then and say a prayer for that person. It only takes a few seconds. And by the way, this will work with Facebook, too. If you need to check your page often, then take a look at your friends list and pause for a minute and pray for them. Everyone is going through something---we all need all the help we can get. You can bet that I'll be thinking of you more frequently than I used to. I'll see your name (or your smiling face on Facebook) and I'm going to smile right back at you and say, "God bless my friend (mate, parent, daughter, son, grandchild, brother, sister, niece, nephew) today. Let them feel Your presence and love, Your mercy and grace. Grant them peace and health. I hope I can see them again soon."

I don't want to drop any more calls. God is calling...love is calling...it's time to answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment