Sunday, August 28, 2011

nail it down

For as long as I can remember, I have heard people say, "Everything happens for a reason."  I suppose that it's true, but often it is easier to reject the notion altogether, rather than contemplate just exactly what that reason might be.  When something that we simply were not expecting occurs, we immediately struggle with the 'reason' for it.  Sometimes we are even foolish enough to utter those two words that cancel any shred of faith that we might be clinging to..."why me?"

At those times, I simply pause and remember all that my precious Jesus suffered to settle my account.  I no longer waste time with the whole 'ME' thing, but I do wonder what good could come from any of the madness, not just for myself, but for every one that I am aware is suffering for one reason or another.  It can all be so vague at times.

And still, He who holds the universe in place with a mere thought is still in control!  He always was, always is, always will be in total control.  THAT my soul "knoweth right well."  It's a fact to me...a proven outcome, not a mere theory.  So, when bad things (or even potentially bad things) happen to someone, myself included, I am learning to set aside the worry (which is absolute lack of faith) and concentrate on whatever it is that the Father is trying to teach me.  Oh, there are degrees on the worry meter, to be sure!  Sometimes, it actually takes a day or two to pull myself together again.  Only at that point, am I able to rise up to my full stature in Christ and walk, once again, by faith and not by sight.  At that moment, peace comes in like a river, the smile returns to my face, and I am confident that not one single thing, from the slightest injury to the greatest devastation could ever remove me from His tender care and purpose for my life.

That's what happened to me this past week.  I received news, in the form of a letter, that I simply was not expecting.  As I read it through a second time, I was reeling from the fear that had already begun to plant itself firmly in my heart.  I tried to call a couple of people, but no one was answering their phone.  Typical, right?!  And when they finally did get back to me it was clear that their plate was already full---too full for me to add to their distress, so I remained silent.  I fretted for another day...can you even imagine that?  I wasted most of what might have been a great day just allowing my mind to create terrible outcomes that probably will never happen.  And so what if they do happen?  Jesus, my Christ, will never let go of my hand...even if it means that we're actually headed home, to His place---NO! ESPECIALLY if it means we're headed home!  His love is amazing.  The sureness of its value is a nail-in-a-sure-place.  Whatever, whoever is anchored by that love cannot be moved.

So, what was the 'thing' I am supposed to learn?  Well, I believe that it is simply this:  When I am left dazed and confused from the attack of the unseen enemy (fear), I should "tell it to Jesus."  "There is no other, such a friend or brother, tell it to Jesus alone."  I have a direct line---He always answers!  I have discovered that when I run crying to Him, He holds me.  This is what it means to be held.  This is where peace can cover us, protecting us.  The second thing I learned is just as valuable.  God is faithful.  If you need more tangible support, He will put you on the minds of others...the faithful ones who will carry you gently to the throne of grace---there is mercy and healing waiting there for you.  No worries.  His grace is sufficient.  Today is a bright new day, and all is well---it surely is.  Faith has risen in my heart today and God has wiped all tears away.

I may not know what the future holds for me, but I know Who holds my future!  Now, that's a nail-in-a-sure-place!

No comments:

Post a Comment