Friday, September 30, 2011

it makes a difference

Does anyone else remember the 'little' song that we learned in Sunday School?

"Oh, be careful little eyes what you see---
oh, be careful little eyes what you see---
for the Father up above is looking down with love, so be careful little eyes what you see."

And then, there's the rest of it:
"...be careful little ears what you hear...be careful little mouth what you say...be careful little hands what you do...be careful little feet where you go..."

Still very good advice! But, perhaps not quite thorough enough. I'm adding to the list, "Oh, be careful little heart what you pray..."

When the disciples asked Jesus to teach them to pray, what resulted was the passage that we commonly call 'the Lord's Prayer.' "Our Father, which art in heaven..."

Most of us are very familiar with the prayer, having learned it by 'heart' at an early age, and hopefully we've been using it daily for many years. But, I wonder if we know what we are asking...

For instance, in the passage that pleads "forgive us our debts (transgressions) as we forgive our debtors (transgressors)," I wonder if we realize the raw power of that request. I wonder if we've even considered the ramifications of the true meaning of the words. Let me try to explain:

The key to understanding this phrase lies in the tiny two-letter word, 'as.'  You see, when used in the function of a conjunction, it means "while." Okay, forgive me my debts while I forgive my debtors. That's all well and good. Reasonable. But, is it what Jesus was actually teaching us? I thought it was way too shallow on that level, so a few years ago, I pulled out the good, old Greek-English Lexicon and guess what I learned?! Don't worry, I won't keep you in suspense any longer. In this text the true usage of the word, 'as,' is an ADVERB! Now, that makes a tremendous difference. For you see, it doesn't mean 'while' you are doing something, it actually means so much more. It means "to the same degree or amount." WOW!

Do you see it? "Father, forgive me [today] THE SAME WAY that I forgive others." Therefore, when we withhold our forgiveness, or make it conditional, or give it grudgingly---we may be putting ourselves in a delicate position to receive much-needed forgiveness and comfort ourselves. Don't get all pious on me here---WE ALL NEED TO BE FORGIVEN. We have all done foolish things that caused hurt to ourselves or others and more importantly, to the Lord.

While contemplating the depth of the prayer, as Jesus intended, I also was reminded of a passage that Paul (the Apostle, not the Beatle) wrote to us via the Corinthians in II Cor. 9:1-12, but especially verses 6-8. Paul explains that when we give, it should always be from the heart: "...give, not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver."

The point I'm trying to make is that it's time to put on the mind of Christ...to think outside the box. For decades, this Corinthian passage has been used, primarily during 'Stewardship' sermons, to persuade us to give more. Perhaps, it is time to think about it on a broader scale, though. What if we allowed it to dictate the way with which we 'give' ANYTHING?  We could apply it to our work---giving our hours to the boss/company cheerfully, not grudgingly. We could apply it to our families---doing our chores cheerfully, not grudgingly or of necessity. In fact, we could apply it to every area of our lives.

We could, especially, apply it to the way we choose to forgive...cheerfully, not grudgingly or of necessity. Then, and only then, will we be living with the mind of Christ when it comes to forgiving others. I believe He forgives me completely, freely, and cheerfully. He is happy whenever I have a change of heart, repenting of my shortcomings/sins (whether in thoughts, words or actions.) So, I must "be careful, little heart, what you pray." Praying that I be forgiven, just the same way that I forgive others, can be powerful. It could be a blessing or a curse.

But, I know a secret: "He hath set before you LIFE and the BLESSING [as well as] DEATH and the CURSING...THEREFORE, CHOOSE LIFE, WITH THE BLESSING!" (Deut. 30:19)

I think I will! One hour at a time, as He strengthens and encourages me, I believe I can forgive just the same way that He forgives me.

No comments:

Post a Comment