Thursday, February 10, 2011

Setting the Record Straight

Do you consider yourself to be a good listener? I used to think that I was, but these days I'm not so sure anymore.

Here's what's bothering me...

Anyone who has known me very long knows that I love to talk to people. I'm just interested in so many different things, I suppose. But, even though I truly am concentrating on both listening and hearing, (not always the same thing) I find that my mind often wanders. Those meandering side trips in the mind often cause me to interrupt what the speaker is saying to me. And sometimes the comment I make at that inappropriate time isn't even totally related to what they were saying. I know it must be exasperating, but please be patient. I really am listening.

When I was in college, I took extra assignments regarding the new research on the ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) epidemic. If you don't understand the struggle with ADD, please read, "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie."
The first thing that the instructor did was hand out a checklist arranged specifically for adults, rather than children. I recall very well that there were 100 items on the list, and I was able (honestly) to mark 99. I was stunned and relieved at the same time. I had spent most of my own public school years wondering what in the world was wrong with me. It seemed like I just could not stay focused on anything for very long. You can't imagine my extreme and absolute joy to discover that there was nothing wrong or lacking with my intelligence. It was just that my mind wanders faster than I can keep up! Boy, did that explain a lot!

Since that time, I have taken the techniques that I learned from that study and applied them to my own life. I used them in the classroom, as well, and was able to work with students with ADD quite successfully. It was liberating to find out that what had plagued me for years could be addressed earlier for them and help them learn how to handle it better.

So, if I am handling it, why am I here today, writing about it? Well, I said I was handling it, not that I had mastered it.
And there is something that is bothering me lately.

I can't count all the times that I have been told that prayer is the act of talking to God, while meditation is the act of listening to God. I believe this to be true. I have discovered that I can talk to Him quite easily, sometimes chatting amiably for an hour or more, but then when He is ready to answer or speak, I only stay focused for a minute or two. Chatty-Cathy bumps it up a notch and just dives right in! Thank goodness, His loving kindness is better than life! He shows patience, mercy and grace when I don't deserve it at all. I know that sometimes He must want to shout, "Will you please shut your mouth and pay attention."

I don't 'do' New Year's resolutions. I know the meaning of the word (resolution) and I know that those promises are going to get me in trouble, so I just don't do it. But, I do take inventory, and choose some areas (not too many---that's a recipe for disaster to someone with ADD---lol) that I will earnestly try to improve.

This year I am working on paying attention when I listen. I don't want to miss the still, small voice of a loving Father-God Who loves me more than I can imagine and wants only the very best for me, everyday that I have air to breathe.  I don't want to miss the slightest detail that a loved one is sharing with me. I don't want to miss anything when my friends are telling me what's new with them.  In short, I don't want to miss a thing!

Yes, I wonder as I wander...my mind takes a lot of rabbit trails...I wonder if you will be patient with me, as God has been.  It's okay to look me in the eye and ask, "Did you hear what I just said?" I promise I won't be offended.

And, by the way, it's okay to ask, "Where in the world did THAT come from?!" when I interrupt you with some off-the-wall comment. I'll just bet that I can connect the dots for you!

Maybe you don't have a problem with it, but I know that I'm not the only one...

No comments:

Post a Comment