Tuesday, May 29, 2012

dark shadows

You probably thought this was going to be a review for the movie, well...no.  I wasn't trying to trick you, there just wasn't any other way to say it!  So, go ahead, now that you're here...read on.

Any student of art or science is exposed to the effects of 'light,' during some point in their studies.  And one of the most profound effects, as far as I'm concerned, is the presence of shadow.  Consider this: there can be no shadow without light.  Period.  It simply isn't possible.

And, that got me to thinking...

Shadows produced by light interference can be positive or negative.  Either way, we can learn some valuable lessons from the experience. To illustrate, I'll simply use myself as the example.  Suppose that I am feeling anxious or depressed or moody. At times such as these, I always look around to see where the Lord is.  Since He IS the Light, then I can safely assume that when I am experiencing shadow in my life, it isn't because He has turned...it's because something has come between me and Him...my source of Light!  I need to check myself for anything that is opposite of His fruit (love, joy, peace, patience, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, and self-control).  Maybe I am withholding forgiveness. As soon as I deal with that matter sincerely, the shadow will withdraw and the Light will become bright again. What if upon self-examination, I discover a root of bitterness that was never plucked up? It will thrive and grow, creating an enormous shadow between me and the Light.  I must chop it down, pull up the roots and never allow even a sliver to survive. What if I have simply missed an opportunity to have a Servant's heart and bless someone else...Then, my own self-worth grows bigger and bigger creating self-inflicted shadows over my life!

The Light is always there, but shadows exist whenever something comes between Him and me.  It's up to me to keep everything in proper balance.  Those are examples of negative shadows.

What about positive shadows?  I think they occur at those special times in our lives when He is holding us so tightly that we are completely covered "under the shadow of His wings." And let me tell you, friend, I've been there.  I've been in the depth of heartache and despair that is so deep that I'm not sure I'll survive, but that's when He holds me...real close...so close that I can feel His heartbeat, and it makes me calm in the midst of devastating troubles.  Yes, there are positive and negative shadows. Rest in the one and learn from the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment