Sunday, April 3, 2011

I Wouldn't Go Skydiving

Just about anyone in my generation knows who Erma Bombeck was. See passed away about fifteen years ago, but I remember her witty humor. She wrote a newspaper column generally about the everyday life of a suburban housewife. She was a successful novelist, as well. I recall the first time I read the book, The Grass is Always Greener Over the Septic Tank. She made us laugh and cry at the same time. I believe that she continued writing into the year that she died...cancer.

But, she also wrote some serious things, too. The next few thoughts are attributed to her, written after her terminal diagnosis. Most of us have heard the song about the guy who would go skydiving if he learned that he was dying. That's all well-and-good, but I like Erma's perspective on things.

If I learned that I only had a few months to live (and we should live like we possess that knowledge)....

"I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose before it melted in storage." Yes! I can identify with that one. So many times, I have put something up, thinking I'd enjoy it more later. Now I know---there is no later! Today is the day...now is the time. Use the good dishes, enjoy the good silver. Light the scented candles. Don't let life melt in storage!

"I would have talked less and listened more." Especially to my parents and their parents. For instance, my grandfather was from Montana and my grandmother was from Massachusetts. I'm not really certain how they ever got together in the first place. My mother was born in Boston, so how in the world did they decide to come to Oklahoma, where she eventually married and where I was born?! I THINK that I have it all worked out, but I'll never know for sure. They are all gone now, and there is no one left to ask.

"I would have invited friends over to dinner even if the carpet was stained and the sofa faded." This one, I'm proud to say, that I do a pretty good job with. I love my family and friends, and my Jerry shares an open-door policy, with me, at our home. What wonderful times we have had! Stop by whenever you can.

"I would never have bought anything just because it was practical, wouldn't show soil, or was guaranteed to last a lifetime." This one, well...let's just say that I'm still working on this one! Raising five precious children with too much month at the end of the money wasn't always easy, but it was always F-U-N!!!

"I would have cried and laughed LESS while watching television and MORE while watching life." I am in total agreement here...Life's Better On The Porch! Come join us whenever you can.

"There would be more 'I love you' and more 'I'm sorry.'" Agreed. What does it really matter who is right? Learn to say, "You could be right," or "I was wrong," or "I'm sorry." And always remember, you can never say, "I LOVE YOU!" too often, especially when it's true. Don't make the people you care about wonder whether or not you do...tell them...fervently and frequently!

"But mostly, given another shot at life, I would seize every minute, look at it, and really see it, live it and NEVER give it back." Carpe Diem. I love it. A life well-lived, full of gratitude to the God Who made me, and all the wonderful people He has filled my life with. Truly, my cup runneth over. No regrets.

Nope, I definitely would not go skydiving, but I would write, "I love you!" with vapor from a plane. TODAY is the only day of your life. "Yesterday is gone on down the river, and it ain't never comin' back," (thanks for the reminder, Lonesome Dove.) There is no promise of tomorrow...that leaves us with TODAY!

Whatever you do...ENJOY IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment