Tuesday, January 24, 2012

nowhere man

For the past several days, a song performed by the Beatles has been stuck in my head.  When I go to sleep, I hear it; and when I wake up in the morning, I hear it.  I hear it in the middle of the day, and all day long.

"Nowhere man, please listen...you don't know what you're missing..."

Over and over and over it plays.  I finally stopped and listened to the words with my heart instead of my head. Oh yes, God can even use a song by a rock group to get your attention.  He surely can!

I began to make a list...I asked the Holy Spirit to help me, and He did just that.  I wanted to know if there was anyone in my life, no matter what the relationship, who was headed nowhere...people who were flat-out missing the blessings of the Lord in their lives.  Name after name, He dropped them in my spirit, and without knowing what they needed, I just prayed.  I didn't want any of them to be stuck in a "nowhere land" with little hope left to hang on to.  Everyone's going through something, but sometimes we "forget to remember" that we're not here alone.  We get so wrapped up in our own little world---one teacher coined it the "us-four-and-no-more" mentality---but, whatever it is, it must be identified by each of us, individually, and stopped.

There is a rustle in the Spirit realm these days...a relentless and urgent clamor for attention.  A restless yearning for souls to be reunited with the Father is stirring.  We have to see the world again, the poor tired masses, like Jesus did.  We have to feel the compassion that moved Him to action.  While it's true that no one can do everything, it's equally true that everyone can do something!

Sometimes, I wake up in the middle of the night for no apparent reason.  I have come to realize that maybe, just maybe, that's the best time that the Father can get my attention.  We have wonderful "quiet times" in the morning, but then, too often, the cares of the world start taking their toll.  And I can barely hear His voice by noon.

So, for the time being, I am paying attention to "Nowhere Man." Every time it pops into my head, I stop and ask, "Who, Lord? Who is desperate for You and doesn't even know it himself?"  We need to ready ourselves to be part of the solution.  As the prophet said, "Here am I Lord, send me."

If you don't have a burden for a nowhere man, maybe now's the time to get one.  After all, when you have a burden, Jesus promises to carry it for you, so there's really no cost to you!  Just something to think about...

No comments:

Post a Comment