Monday, December 5, 2011

a perfect day


I used to tell my students that I wasn't as interested in "perfection" as I was in "excellence." In my reasoning, perfection is hard to find in this life, and when we spend too much time looking for it, it is time lost. However, on the other hand, we have excellence, and that is within our grasp. No matter what you do, it can be excellent---your own personal best---that's what excellence really is, after all.


But, this time of year, especially, I am reminded of this quote by John Wooden, "You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."


And if that's the truth, I want more perfect days in my life. Imagine the impact on this poor, tired world, if each one of us decided to be excellent in the giving of ourselves, (time and energy and money) to those who cannot possibly repay us.

I think they call it "Random Acts of Kindness" these days. Whatever it is called, let's just do it!

God gave His very best, He gave when He knew we would not appreciate the gift. He gave because it was His act of excellence to do for us what we could never do for ourselves, and He never once showed any regret over His decision. I am not a fan of "re-gifting." I think it's an awful thing to do, for the most part. Someone has taken the time (and money) to get a gift for you---it may or may not be their best effort, but it was done anyway. Sometimes, we really mean it when we say, "Oh! You shouldn't have." But, I had to face the fact one day that if they felt like they "had" to get a gift for me, maybe I had not done a very good job of appreciating them personally and all that they brought to the relationship. I have discovered that those who truly love me never choose something that I would give away to someone else. Why? Because I love them so much and everything they do for me is excellent!

But, at this time of the year, I make an exception. I resolve anew that I will definitely try to re-gift one special thing that I received...redemption! The Father gave freely and urges us to do the same. It's the one gift that we are always encouraged to re-gift! Give the good message away every chance you get: the message of His unfailing, never-ending love. Give it by means of personal excellence...in all you say or do!

Wake up each morning with this thought, "One perfect day coming up!"

No comments:

Post a Comment