Sunday, October 30, 2011

it's autumn, at last

Ah, autumn...my favorite season.  Don't misunderstand; I truly enjoy a region that experiences all four seasons, and I have been blessed enough that I have always lived in such a place.  After the record heat wave and drought of this past summer, I think everyone was longing for the cooler days of autumn, and now they are finally here.

What glorious days!  They are warm and sunny and the evenings bring a chill on every wisp of wind.  Morning comes and I am nestled deep in the folds of the fluffy down comforter that drapes over the bed.  The sky seems more brilliant than any other time, I think.  Perhaps it is only the contrast of the brightly colored leaves of the trees.  Yes, autumn is a truly welcome season for me.  I don't even mind that it means that winter is not far behind.  (I will embrace its glory when it arrives.)  But, in the meantime, I bask in the golden days of the most wonderful season of the year.

I often think that my life is a series of seasons, as well.  If this is true, then perhaps I am enjoying the autumn of my life right this very minute.  That's okay with me.  I like my life.  I like where I am in my life.  Sometimes I wonder if I would have changed anything along the way, if I had known what would happen next.  But, the truth of the matter is this: "any arbitrary changes along the way," will naturally change everything that happens after that!  Just imagine...no matter what change you would make...it would alter everything past that point.  I think it is good that God does not allow me to "know" too much, not even about myself!  In His grace, He has chosen to reveal things to me gradually.  I have become accustomed to being on a need-to-know basis.  And I have discovered that He is true to His word...He has never allowed more to tempt or try me than I can manage at that point in my life.  The lessons I have learned were often gleaned from hard fought battles in the trenches of life.  I am no stranger to the school-of-hard-knocks.  Sometimes it seems as though my name was on the roll for months at a time!  Still, I was able, with God's divine help, to get through one more time.

Now that my life has proceeded through several decades, now that I have past the half-century mark, I feel as though I'm in the clubhouse turn.  What is there left to do?  What great and marvelous plans does He have for me that I cannot even imagine today?  Since I am still on a need-to-know basis, I have absolutely no idea what will happen next.  But, there is one thing that I am certain of.  He lives to love...and He loves me.  He knows my name...He walks with me and talks with me, and I plan to make the most of that relationship!  While I do not know what the future holds, I most certainly have a plan.  I plan to love the Lord with all my heart, and all my soul, and all my might.  I plan to seek His approval before I mess things up for myself and possibly others.  I plan to thank Him, with a grateful heart, whenever I think of anyone I love and care about.  I plan to talk less and listen more...I plan to listen until I really hear.  I plan to forgive so quickly that wounds don't have time to worsen and fester.  I plan to enjoy this very wonderful life, every moment of every day.

I cannot imagine a more beautiful time than autumn...on this earth, and in my life!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment